Sisal Carpet at Floor Coverings International in Kansas City, KS
Rustic flooring and decor have become popular in recent years, which is why sisal carpet is growing in popularity in the greater Kansas City, Overland Park, Leawood areas! It is made from the fibers of a cactus-like plant called Agave sisalana, native to Africa and Brazil. Once the leaves are cut, the fibers are extracted. These fibers are cut, dried, and treated to produce twine that can then be woven into rugs.
There are many possibilities in terms of the weave pattern, and the photo above is just one example. Just like hemp and coir, sisal provides durability that most manmade materials can’t match. Because of its durability, sisal doesn’t show the wear patterns common in wall-to-wall carpeting.
Benefits of Sisal Carpeting
- It’s naturally stain-resistant, so it doesn’t require any chemical treatments that may be harmful to children and pets.
- It repels dust and static electricity.
- It's an eco-friendly flooring option.
- It absorbs sound better than other carpeting material.
- It’s naturally flame-resistant.
- It can be combined with other natural fibers such as wool or sea grass.
Drawbacks of Sisal Carpeting:
- Sisal does not do well with moisture and should be avoided in a mudroom or bathroom.
- It may feel rough underfoot compared to traditional carpet materials, so it may not be best to sit or lie on for prolonged periods.
- Can be prone to color-fading especially with prolonged exposure to the sun.
Sisal Carpet Experts in Kansas City
If you're ready to install new carpet in your home, let the experts at Floor Coverings International® KC South help you! Our trained design associates will bring our mobile showroom right to your home, filled with thousands of samples. They'll even provide a free proposal and estimate so there are no surprises. Contact us today to schedule your free in-home consultation. We proudly serve the greater Kansas City, Overland Park, Leawood areas and look forward to working with you!